Position: Director of Development
Supervisor: Executive Director
Overview of the Position
The Director of Development (The Director) leads a team of four dedicated to HELP’s financial growth. The Director will have passion for the mission, a proven track record as a fundraiser and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Summary of Responsibilities
Reporting to the Executive Director, The Director is responsible for designing and implementing HELP’s annual and long-term fundraising plans, developing and maintaining relations with individual and institutional donors, developing major gift and donor recognition programs and ensuring effective communication with a diverse range of supporters.
Major responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing the Annual Fundraising Plan to support HELP’s existing work and its planned expansion;
- Supervising the Development and US office staff.
- Mapping donor landscape through analysis and prospecting; overseeing constituent database;
- Expand HELP’s individual and institutional donor base by identifying and pursuing new donors and maintaining relations with existing donors;
- Designing and implementing annual giving program and major gifts campaign;
- Ensuring timely submission of grant documents (proposals, inquiries, renewal requests, reports);
- Planning and executing fundraising and cultivation events with board of directors and volunteer committees;
- Maintaining HELP’s communications: brochure, website, Annual Report, etc.;
- Evaluating fundraising infrastructure to ensure systems, procedures and policies are consistent with planning and development goals.
- Advising and training the Board on fundraising and development techniques, as needed;
- A commitment to the mission and values of HELP
- A minimum of 5 years demonstrated success in fundraising, including individual giving, major gifts, grant writing, special events, and capital campaigns
- Exceptional research and writing skills, particularly with regard to individual donor, foundation and corporate prospects and grant writing
- The ability and motivation to function both independently and as manager of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills, both inside and outside of the organization
- Analytical and planning skills
- A resourceful, entrepreneurial and creative attitude
- Ability and willingness to travel within the US and to Haiti, as needed
- Interest in one or more of the following: Haiti, international development, (higher) education.